I, too have been personally attacked by the UNC GOP

Hey everyone, I found this article written by UNC student, Alec Dent circulating amongst some conservative, right wing thinkers I just so happen to be friends with. We have something in common Dr. Ahuja because I, too have been personally attacked by the UNC GOP. To save us the trouble of more reading, the article does not elaborate for what reasons “ENGL 72: Literature of 9/11” is as Fox Nation calls a “Disgrace on Campus”. There is plenty background about Neel, including his hometown, his teaching appointments, and salary. Dent raises much concern over the class syllabus not including the point of view from victims and their families, as if there is a lack of terror-porn circulating about victims, images, destruction of property, and the US nationalist response. Point of this tidbit: if you haven’t already, set a Google alert for your name and refuse to respond to such nonsensical rhetoric.

_________________________________________________________________________

In GEOG 423: Racialization in the Global City, we are learning how catastrophic events change the nature of colonial projects and enterprise creating new systems of oppression and privilege. In the US, this system has vastly benefited white people, specifically white men but nevertheless the systems changed and adapted to its new environment. For example, the most current of these “sub-expressions of structure” is cultural/differential racism created post-Emancipation, end of the Civil War, and post-thirteenth amendment. It is my understanding that this first chapter would agree that colonial projects are flexible in their execution of taking space. It may however diverge in opinions regarding theories related to globalization and imperialism. I found it interesting that imperialism, the highest stage of colonialism centered, at least in definition, upon capitalism. It would make sense considering how exploitative such a market becomes that capitalism must then be the root of all evil, but it was interesting to me to think about colonial trappings and their effects on the human body, mind, and soul in terms of economics. I should spend more time studying economies that are not only anti-capitalist, but also ante-capitalist. It was eye-opening to read how dynamic iterations of center/periphery were expressed in other sites, that involved people of color colonizing other people/groups of color. Yet, with this absorption of displaced peoples I am curious of what makes a racialized motivation as violent as it has historically been, not only in treatment but also passionate hate for people we (as “Americans”) have not met. As always when discussing the canon of literature written on this topic, I end with more questions that when I began.

I did find Loomba’s elaborations about resistance and post-colonialism: fair. As someone who would like to think is working toward my own liberation and “decolonizing”, I am open to the idea that this is more than working through internal racism, bias, and quickness to identify with the majoratorian narrative and envy the position of white/male/middleclass. If it is of the opinion that we are living in a post-colonial world and that our options are to decolonize our mindfulness, then are we left with accepting the colonial project of the US and Europe as a reality of the past, are we guaranteed that such a narrative will be written on and studied in the next half century? Since the project of colonialism is arguable over, then do we begin to see the success of an American democracy as related to our liberation and decolonized minds? I’m not sure.